Work With Us
Due to the high level of demand for our services, we are always looking for enthusiastic, creative and solution oriented Educational Psychologists (EPs) to join our dynamic and growing service.
We at Psychology First are a team of highly experienced EPs who are committed to using a consultation model of service delivery to promote systemic change and improve outcomes for all. Our services are directly commissioned by individual schools, Multi Academy Trusts, and education projects, enabling us to apply psychology in an innovative way to meet their needs. We are currently working in educational settings across Surrey; the London Boroughs of Croydon, Lambeth and Sutton; West Sussex; Hampshire; and Berkshire.
As we work independent of a Local Authority, we do not do any statutory or tribunal work. We also don’t do any work that is directly commissioned by parents; however, we do meet with parents and work very closely with them through our consultation model of service delivery in schools. We are very boundaried in terms of our ethical values and the work that we commit to undertaking, and our services are always complimentary to those provided by a Local Authority.
Are you an HCPC registered EP who can demonstrate the following skills, experience, and qualities?
Skills and experience:
- Educated to a required professional training level in Educational Psychology.
- Eligible for ‘Charted Psychologist’ status with the British Psychological Society.
- Can demonstrate a range of experience applying psychological models and evidenced based practice with children, young people, families, and education settings.
- Has good organisational and time management skills to ensure that your planned work is negotiated appropriately with schools and completed as agreed during the school day.
- Has developed strong consultation skills. You need to be able to identify patterns and trends in consultations across individual settings, and to communicate these to school staff. This will enable you to subsequently support them to develop their capacity and capability in meeting pupils’ needs.
- Has excellent interpersonal skills to develop effective working relationships quickly with clients, and to work collaboratively with them to meet their needs.
- Has excellent verbal and written communication skills. You also need to have a range of concise and consistent ‘scripts’ to explain psychological processes to parents, their children, and school staff.
- Confident in working autonomously and independently; designing and delivering training; and working systemically with school settings.
- Can maximise the opportunity of delivering directly commissioned EP services to schools to be innovative and make a difference. We are looking for EPs who can ‘go the extra mile’ to ensure that schools are happy with the service they receive.
- Can act as a champion for the Psychology First brand and uphold our principles and values across everything that you do.
If so, we would love to hear from you!
What we can offer you
- Attractive daily rates.
- Regular, high-quality supervision from EPs that have undertaken additional professional training in this area.
- A flexible working pattern. All work takes place during term time only and within school hours. You can work when you want, as agreed with individual schools, providing you deliver all the days of work you commit to.
- Flexibility in the number of days of work you undertake. You will be offered days of work with schools and there is no expectation that you must take them.
- Full autonomy to use your strengths and creativity to practice how you want to as an EP in meeting the needs of our clients.
- Opportunities to design and deliver training and to work systemically in your schools. The possibilities are endless regarding the range of work you can negotiate with your schools to meet their needs.
- Opportunities to supervise groups of Emotional Literacy Support Assistants (ELSAs) and Early Years ELSAs.
- Continuity of working relationships with schools. All of our clients buy in multiple days of EP time across an academic year, which will enable you to become a valued part of the wider school community.
- Working in a team of highly experienced EPs and regular peer support.
- Research Opportunities.
This all might sound too good to be true, but it really isn’t! Don’t take our word for it! See below regarding feedback from our Educational Psychologists, or get in touch to speak to one of them about what it is like being part of our team.
Working with Psychology First has been a breath of fresh air! I am really enjoying my link EP and ELSA supervision roles in schools. I have particularly valued ways of working that are varied, creative, flexible, autonomous, proactive, relational, psychological, and solution-oriented. It has been particularly rewarding to work regularly in schools again; becoming embedded within school systems, building key relationships with staff members, and helping to build staff capacity, in order to promote meaningful long-term systemic change. I also love being part of such a friendly and welcoming team, with regular opportunities to connect through staff socials, one-to-one and peer supervision, and CPD days.
Working with Psychology First for the last four years has allowed me to apply psychology to practice that aligns with my values as an Educational Psychologist. The service offers opportunities that provides diversity within my work and autonomy to develop my CPD interests. Alongside this, I have access to and support from a team of EPs with a wide range of knowledge and skills. Laura and Chantelle are incredibly supportive, and show a genuine interest in my well-being, ensuring that I feel valued, and have a sense of belonging to the team.
I enjoy being part of the Psychology First team because the nature of the work is collaborative, proactive and varied. We are able to really help schools to better understand and support the needs of children, young people and their families.
Working with Psychology First over the last year has been a fantastic, supportive experience. Chantelle and Laura have a clear vision, and it has been refreshing to experience this. Psychology First’s carefully considered and impactful way of delivering educational psychology services to schools, children and their families makes complete sense and supports EPs to ensure that psychology remains central to their work. I particularly value the regular opportunities for high quality supervision and the connection with the wider team.
I love the autonomy and flexibility that working in the Psychology First team brings, as well as the opportunity I have to apply psychology creatively in schools. The consultation model fits well with my ethos as a psychologist and it’s a very rewarding feeling seeing a significant positive outcome for schools, parents and young people. I enjoy being part of a team and highly value my supervision; both of which ensure I feel supported within my role. It is a very fulfilling experience knowing I’m making a difference by applying psychology in my work on a daily basis.
I really enjoy working collaboratively with a range of schools delivering a variety of work which is tailored to the specific needs of the schools and families I am working with. I feel lucky to have met new colleagues and be part of a welcoming and supportive team, alongside my other work commitments.
How to apply to join the team
This is an exciting time to join us and to be part of our expansion as a service. We are always keen to hear from HCPC registered EPs who either want to work with us alongside their current work commitments (one/two days a week), or who want to work solely with us.
To register your interest in joining the team, please send your CV and a covering letter outlining how you meet the person specification to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you would like to have an informal conversation about working with us, or to speak to one of our EPs, please call us on 01276 785749.